Mostly in south India, their traditional breakfast is Idli and it is made with Urad dal and rice (Methi seeds – Optional). Generally, the idli batter is fermented overnight and steam cooked till it holds the shape and served for breakfast.
Idli served with a sambar and coconut chutney. It becomes one of the most delicious and tasty foods you will ever eat.
- 2 cup of rice
- 1 cup urad dal
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)
- 1 cup of pohe
- 1 tbsp salt
FOR MAKING BATTER
- Take rice into a bowl and wash it with water 3-4 times.
- Add water and soak the rice for 4 hours.
- Take urad dal and methi seeds in another bowl mix well and wash with water 3-4 times.
- Add water in a bowl and soak for 4 hours.
- Take pohe and wash with 1-time water and soak for just about 5 minutes.
- After 4 hours take rice and pohe in a blender jar and blend into a coarse batter.
- Take the urad dal and methi seeds in a blending jar and blend into a smooth, fluffy batter adding water as required.
- Transfer the urad dal batter to rice batter.
- Take a whisk and mix well make sure that rice batter and urad dal batter are combined well.
- Now cover the batter and put in a warm place and ferment the batter at least for 7-8 hours.
FOR MAKING IDLI
- After 8 hours, add salt and mix gently.
- After fermenting, the batter doubles indicating well fermented with air pockets present.
- Take the idli plate and grease it with oil on each plate.
- Add the batter to each mold.
- Add water in an idli steamer and let it boil.
- After boiling water adds idli plate in a steamer for 10-15 minutes on medium flame or till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Take the idli plate out of the idli pot and rest for 5 minutes.
- Take the Idli out with the help of a knife or spoon.
- Soft and spongy Idli is ready to serve.
- Idli is serv with coconut chutney and sambar.
- You can use Rava(semolina)/ rice Rava instead of rice.
- You can Idli batter refrigerated for 2-3 days and steam idli when you require.
- You can use ½ cup of boiled rice instead of pohe.
- Pohe or boils rice help in making Idli soft and spongy so don’t skip pohe or cooked rice in that recipe.
- Avoid plastic jars for fermenting; use stainless steel or ceramic containers for fermenting.