Kanda Pohe is a perfect breakfast recipe. It is such an easy, quick and straightforward recipe. It tests best when hot and serving with grated coconut, Sev or lemon juice.
Kanda Pohe or Poha recipes are prevalent across India and are made various reasons.
In western India, particularly in Maharashtra, it is made as a morning breakfast or evening snack.
Variations of Pohe recipe are made with potato. Kanda Pohe recipe is a light breakfast recipe Pohe is made by mixing flattened rice in a mix of seasoned spices and onions.
Kanda Pohe makes it more nutritious to add boiled potatoes, boiled peas, grated carrots, cashews, and garnish with coriander leaves.
- 2 Cup Pohe / Beaten Rice / Flattened Rice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp peanuts
- ½ tsp mustard seeds/ Mohari
- ½ tsp cumin seeds/ jeera
- 1 medium-size chopped onion
- 6-8 curry leaves
- 2-3 Chopped green chilli
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Sugar (optional)
- Sev (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Take the Pohe in a bowl and wash them well for 1-2 times.
- After washing the Pohe, drain out the water completely and keep it aside.
- Heat the pan and add oil and keep medium flame and add mustard seeds and let it pop up.
- Add cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Add curry leaves, green chilli and fry them for 10 seconds.
- Add roasted peanuts and fry for 20 seconds.
- Add thinely chopped onion and fry until golden brown colour.
- Add turmeric powder and stir well.
- Add the soaked Pohe it in the pan.
- Add salt as per required.
- Add sugar (optional) mix well.
- Cover the Pohe and cook on low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add coriander leaves and mix well.
- Kanda Pohe is ready to serve.
- Add lemon juice and mix well.
- While serving, sprinkle the Sev on it.
- You can garnish with freshly grated coconut.
- If you are using thin Pohe, put them in a sieve, add water and keep covered aside.
- If you are using medium-thick Pohe you need to wash them under water nicely soak them in water for 30-40 seconds. After 30 seconds drain all water and keep covered aside.
- If you are using thick Pohe then wash the Pohe for 2-3 times well under and soak for 1 minute in the water. Drain all the water and keep it closed.
- Pohe should be soaked for at least 10 minutes before preparing because of which the Pohe becomes soft and pleasant.
- The Maharashtrian Kanda Pohe recipe tastes great when it is not mushy or soggy.