Dal khichdi is a simple, quick, tasty and easy recipe more importantly it is a healthy recipe.
Dal khichdi consumed by young to elders or kids eat. This recipe can be served to adults also for indigestion problems.
Dal khichdi recipe is an ideal recipe for young kids. Serve this dal khichdi with a lot of butter or ghee on top and yogurt and papad and pickle on the side.
Khichdi is made in different types in different parts of the country. It’s made with moong, toor and masoor dal. Here we have used moong dal in this dal khichdi recipe.
Let’s learn how to make dal khichdi recipes.
- ½ cup of rice
- ½ cup moong dal
- ¼ tbsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- ⅛ tbsp asafoetida powder (hing powder)
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 2 nos. Onion chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tbsp cumin seeds
- ½ tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 no. dried red chilli
- 8-9 curry leaves
- Take moong dal and rice in a bowl and wash with water 2-3 times.
- Washed rice and moong dal add to a pressure cooker.
- Add asafoetida powder (hing), salt and turmeric powder.
- Add water and mix all ingredients.
- Now Cover the lid and keep medium flame until 3-4 whistles or until cook very soft and mushy.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds once they crack.
- Add cumin seed and let them pop up.
- Add chopped onion and fry until it turns a nice golden brown colour.
- Add chopped tomato and mix well.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt to taste.
- Mix well and fry for about 4-5 minutes till the tomato is cooked and is made soft and mashed.
- Take the cooked khichdi and mash it with the help of a masher.
- Add water to adjust the consistency and squeeze it well.
- When the tomato is softened and squeezed add cooked khichdi to the pan.
- Stir well and cook on a medium flame for about 5-6 minutes.
FOR MAKING TEMPERING
- Heat a pan and add ghee and oil.
- Add cumin seeds when cumin seeds splutter.
- Add mustard seeds when mustard seeds crackle add curry leaves and dried red chilies mix well.
- Add tadka on dal khichdi and mix well.
- Add chopped coriander leaves.
- Dal khichdi is ready to serve.
- Try to use broken rice for making dal khichdi due to broken rice khichdi becomes nice and soft.
- You can add tur dal instead of moong dal or a combination of tur and moong dal.
- Add water three times the quantity of dal and rice.
- You can use veggies in the khichdi like Greenpeace, carrot, beans and potato.
- To make dal khichdi vegan, skip the ghee and use oil only.
HEALTHY MOONG DAL KHICHDI VIDEO BY COOKING CRAFT