Dal tadka is popular in Indian resto, dhaba and hotels. This is a tasty and easy recipe.
It is prepared using tur dal. But you can use moong or masoor dal for this recipe.
Dal means lentil is a Hindi term. You can use burnt charcoal for a smoky flavor. It makes dal tadka even more special. Tastes good with jeera rice or restaurant-style Indian bread.
If you’re not in a mood to prepare an elaborate meal and want to keep it simple and easy, then go for this easy dal recipe. Let’s learn to make dal fry.
- 1 Cup of tur dal
- 2 cups of water
- 3 tsp ghee
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- A pinch of asafetida
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- One green chili
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- Salt to taste
- Finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp Kasuri methi (optional)
- 1 tsp ghee
- 3-4 finely chopped garlic
- Two diced red chilies
- Take dal in a bowl and wash it 2-3 times with water.
- Add the washed dal to the cooker and add water.
- Add turmeric powder, asafetida and mix well.
- Close the lid and cook on medium heat until three whistles.
- After three whistles cooker turn of the gas and cool down it for 10 minutes.
- After cooling the cooker, open the lid, beat the dal with a beater and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan and add ghee or oil when ghee is a little hot, add mustard seeds once it crackles add cumin seeds and let them pop up.
- Add finely chopped onion and fry it turns golden brown color.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and fry it for 30 seconds.
- Add finely chopped tomato and cook until tomato becomes soft.
- Add green chili coriander powder, red chili powder, garam masala and mix well.
- Cover the lid and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Open the lid and mix everything well.
- Add the cooked dal and mix well.
- Add water to adjust the consistency mix well.
- Add salt to taste and stir well.
- Add coriander leaves, Add Kasuri methi and mix well.
FOR PREPARE DAL TADAKA
- Heat a tadka pan and add ghee. You can use oil or butter instead of ghee.
- Add chopped garlic and let it turn a little brown.
- Add dried red chilies and fry them.
- Add curry leaves and fry them.
- Add this tadka on dal and mix well.
- Dal tadka is ready to serve.
- Dal tadka is goes well with nan, roti, jeera rice.
- You can use moong or Masur dal instead of tur dal. Also, you can make dal tadka using three dal mix up.
- Dal tadka recipe tastes nice when prepared with a slightly thick consistency.
- Adjust the consistency of dal tadka by adding water is required.
- Dal tadka recipe tastes good when prepared slightly spicy.